Wednesday 7 July 2010

Town Hall

I had to go to the Town Hall this morning - pictured here - to pay my Community Charge. Very laid back office and really friendly staff. The guy helping me thought my middle name was my first name and kept calling me "Celeste" which means "sky blue" in Italian (and which I remember from when I signed for the house at the lawyers they think very amusing). There were piles of files everywhere and I think the PC is a last resort given that it took 5 minutes for the relevant page to open but it was an opportunity to speak Italian and huzzah I did just that. Thank you City Lit and Laura I did learn something. I then had to pay the bill at the bank. You have to lock your bag in safety deposit boxes on the outside wall and then go through a security pod individually to check you don't have anything metal on you (shaped like a gun I expect). My Community Charge for the year is about £150 and the streets are spotless. Islington Council hang your communal heads in shame. I pay almost that a month for, well I am not too sure what for, but not for the pavement outside my house to be swept properly. Forget twin towns, there should be a twin council scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment