Saturday 31 July 2010

Goodbye Venice

We couldn't leave Venice without a visit to St Mark's and yesterday morning we joined the queuing masses. It was worth it. Such a spectacular church and I loved the mosaic floors. The only thing that I think is a shame, is that with such a conveyor belt of people traipsing through, it loses any vestige of tranquility. It really annoys me that tour guides stand next to notices on the walls that read "silence", yet they are anything but. Then we sat in a small square, listening to a violin playing, teenage busker, while we ate calzone that we'd bought from a stall. And then it was time to head back to the floating car park and drive home. We stopped to buy some vegetables on route and arrived home around 8pm. Why is it tiring just sitting still while someone else drives? I made dinner, ratatouille and rice and we watched a really bad George Clooney film called "Leatherheads" that should have gone straight to DVD, it was pretty bad. This morning we went to the supermarket to do a big shop for the next few days and had a late lunch as we are going to Silvano's for dinner. I mentioned this place in an earlier post when Silvano mucked up the booking and didn't have any room left for us. I called this morning, just to be on the safe side, and yes we are expected. So we had a late lunch and hopefully by 8pm we will be ready for 12 courses. The morning we left for Venice a man was cutting back the weeds next door and I can't believe what an amazing job he has done. It has been completely cleared of everything, including any remaining fencing. We now have no obstructions to our view of the village. I think my brother is asleep next door but I will take a photo from the balcony later.

No comments:

Post a Comment