Wednesday 7 July 2010

Dawn chorus

It was a slow start this morning. There are 2 bedrooms here. One has a balcony and overlooks a mountain range. The other overlooks the street. I use the word "street" loosely as it is the width of a car and cobbled. Last year some of the stones outside my front door came up. I wondered how long it would take for the council to come and fix it. In Islington probably never and if at all it would have been filled with tarmac. Here it took 2 days and someone lovingly restored it with stone so you can hardly see where it was mended.
This is the view from my window. It is a raised garden of another neighbour - like the electrics - reminds me of my uncle's house in Calcutta. Anyway my neighbour and her friends must get up very early to work in the garden and chat and it is as if they are standing by my bed. I sleep with the window open and the insect screen pulled down or it would be far too hot. And yet again I can't understand a word. I am hoping that they are speaking in dialect. Until the 1960s a different dialect was spoken every 20 km or so. If it isn't dialect then I will be burning my A level result when it arrives, rather than open it.

No comments:

Post a Comment