Sunday 18 July 2010

A diary malfunction



Yesterday evening we were all set for our 12 course dinner at Silvano's restaurant in Vestignano, a hamlet of 20 people just outside Caldarola. Silvano cooks traditional Marchegiano food, growing most of the ingredients on his land and has revived recipes from centuries ago. There is a movement in Italy called "zero chilometro" where restaurants only serve produce sourced on their doorstep and Silvano's is a great example of that. His father even makes the wine. We love going there as it's small, seats about 25, is in the middle of nowhere in a castle and the food just keeps on coming - for hours. There is no menu, you just eat what appears in front of you. All for €30 with wine and water included. So I really wanted Lynne and David to experience this treat. I'd originally booked for Sunday and then when Silvano said Sunday service was at lunchtime I changed it to Saturday night as I thought 12 courses, in the heat of the day, would just be too much. So we were all set for our culinary extravaganza. Except when we walked through the door Silvano just stared at me and asked why we were a day early. He checked the booking and realised he had drawn an arrow from my name written under Sunday lunchtime to Saturday evening and he'd completely overlooked it, which basically means they couldn't fit us in. It was disappointing and he was mortified so we didn't make a fuss.
Anyway we went into Caldarola and had a lovely dinner at the castle there so the evening was rescued. In the main square they were celebrating the end of a cycle tournament (pictured) which in Italy of course means lots of food and bingo. When I was here at New Year we went to Terra Nostra in San Ginesio for dinner on NY Eve and it finished at 1am with a game of bingo. I was the only Italian speaker on my table so had to translate the numbers and we were the only table not to win a prize, which I think had more to do with translating under the influence than bad luck.
But the Silvano story continues. I called this morning to say we wouldn't be coming for lunch but that I would be booking a table in a couple of weeks when my family is here (to show there were no bad feelings). And Silvano said he was going to drive over to San Ginesio with a gift for my friends as he felt so bad. And he did just that! 15 minutes later he appeared with bottles of Vernaccia di Serrapetrona, which is a fizzy, sweet red wine particular to this area. Such a nice thing for him to have done. I've included a photo of Silvano and his mother (from a previous visit), who does a lot of the cooking.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to do !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know but he was really embarrassed about mucking up the booking.

    ReplyDelete