Saturday 7 August 2010

Taming tomatoes



Having left one tidy garden behind me I decided it was time to tackle the patios in London. I live in a converted factory which is set back from the main road behind a row of houses one one side and bordered on the other side by gardens, so it's quiet, apart from when the couple in one part of my building stay up to the early hours (like last night) and leave their kitchen window open and then it's like being at the party. Fine at midnight but not so fine at 5am when their parties inevitably go on until. I get my own back by getting up at 8.30am and playing radio 4 loudly. Torture for them no doubt. I have 2 patios, the lower one is accessed from the kitchen and the upper one from the bedroom and it's on the upper one that I grow my vegetables. This year I have grown potatoes, green beans, runner beans, broad beans, strawberries, tomatoes, lettuce, radish, onions, rocket and beetroot. The tomatoes were about 2 foot high when I left and are now 6 and collapsing so I have bought canes and my neighbour is going to give me a hand tomorrow to tie them up. I dragged the hose round from the front of the building and spent a couple of hours scrubbing down the lower patio and it's looking good now which is more than I can say for the vegetable one! But I have posted a photo so that you can compare it with how it should look this time tomorrow. At least that's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment