Friday 6 August 2010

Back to earth with a bump

So my flight was delayed last night and I arrived home at midnight. My neighbour has done a fine job keeping the veg alive and my patio has been taken over by triffids. I am going to have to get some canes and tie the tomatoes up as they are all collapsing with the weight of the fruit. That can wait until tomorrow. I do love London and know I will get back into the swing of it but within 24 hours of getting back I have overheard phone conversations in the street (how can you avoid them) where every other word in an expletive, where people put their feet on seats on the bus, where litter is casually dropped when a bin is in view...The list goes on. I seem to be surrounded by the uncouth. Maybe I am noticing it more as I have come from somewhere that is like stepping back in time. I miss Italy and am very tempted to get back on the plane. Shame the need to earn a living gets in the way of life. The big news from San Ginesio is that the chest of drawers acquired in IKEA yesterday has been assembled. And that it was overcast but the forecast is for the sun to come out and stay out. Sunday is the reenactment of the Medieval battle of the Fornarina when San Ginesio overcame a surprise attack by Fermo thanks to the quick wits of a Baker Woman on her early morning walk to work. More of that to come. But yesterday morning (seems like a world away) I accompanied my brother to the barber's and saw a notice on the wall asking local residents to avoid driving into the town after 3pm on Sunday as it would be a much more pleasant and authentic atmosphere for the festivities if the streets were car free. And I know from previous years that absolutely everyone complies in a lovely example of civic pride. When I left the flags of the 4 contrada (tribes or areas of the town) were being put up in the streets and shops were starting to hang their medieval decorations. It's a great time to be there. What I am doing here? I will sleep on the answer and let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment