Monday 20 September 2010

The Glamorous '30s

The summer is well and truly over in Islington, leaves are falling on the patio and I am contemplating turning the central heating on. I check the weather in San Ginesio most days and at the moment it's 25 degrees and sunny and I wish I was there but I am back in London looking for work, which is slow going, but I have high hopes that something will turn up soon. I went to the Victoria & Albert Museum on Friday tonight for a tour entitled "The glamorous '30s". We started with Charles Sareant Jagger's Art Deco bronze relief called "Scandal" which was commissioned by Henry and Gwen Mond as a humorous reference to their early ménage à trois with the writer Gilbert Cannan. In Scandal they stand naked before outraged onlookers who peer at them with hands raised in horror. Apparently Gilbert was involved in a traffic accident outside their house and Gwen decided that he should recuperate at their home and then one thing led to another... Most shocking. We also saw a beautiful, jeweled headband that belonged to Countess Mountbatten, who married at the age of 20 and then "embarked on 2 decades of frivolity" as I read somewhere. I am contemplating amending my CV. Did you know that cigarette holders come in 4 lengths? Opera, theatre, dinner and cocktail to reflect glove lengths - wrist, elbow and full-length. How did I get this far in life without knowing that?


No comments:

Post a Comment