Tuesday 21 September 2010

Regents Canal



The Regents Canal is at the bottom of my road and a favourite route of mine for jogging, largely because it is flat. I think combining running and hills is sheer tomfoolery. There are many sites to distract me from the boredom of a slow trot and I have posted pictures of two of them here. One is an attempt by the council to humanise the Haggerston Estate, which has a poor reputation locally, by displaying huge portraits of residents on the side of the flats, accompanied by the words "I am here". Another, a multi-coloured wall of a warehouse that backs onto the canal, is the work of a Japanese artist Yuko Shiraishi. Both brighten up the area. I was running along the canal last week and a cyclist stopped at the entrance to a tunnel, to let me pass and when I'd run past him I heard a splash. I turned round and he must have been too close to the edge and toppled in. He was so embarrassed as I helped him pull his bike out and then he cycled back home dripping wet and trailing weed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, just to let you know the 'i am here' project is not a council initiative but a work by a couple of local artists/filmmakers/residents of Haggerston & Kingsland Estate. If you want to know more about the project please visit www.iamhere.org.uk. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous, I didn't realise that. Thanks for letting me know - I love it.

    Maya

    ReplyDelete